
Sometime around the spectacle of the 2011 Super Bowl, I overdosed on television.
My enthusiasm for pop culture crack had started to wane in the months prior. First I grew tired of my so-called "favorite" TV show, Fringe. I couldn't make it through an entire episode without dozing off or getting up to wash the dishes-- a very bad sign. Then I spaced part 2 of the Real Housewives of Beverly Hills Reunion Special. Where was my head?! No longer concerned about Lisa, Adrian, and Kyle apparently. Soon even House Hunters International seemed cumbersome and predictable.
At the same time, our cable bill was skyrocketing out of control, especially considering our meager income(s).
Most significantly, every commercial was a ball of tin foil scraping against the enamel of my molars.
This confluence of circumstances led to what once would have been unthinkable for a pair of TV junkies: we gave Comcast the heave-ho. And since our television is a relic from the analog days, we don't get network stations. No ABC, CBS or PBS. No signal. Not even snow.
Since then, I've lost all interest in celebrities (except for you, Viggo.) I no longer browse (let alone buy!) tabloid magazines because I don't know who those spindly orange people inside are. With no TV schedule to hold me prisoner, I've found time to read books.
But do not despair, fair reader! This is not a blog about books.
We are now reborn as TV Streamers. Thanks to a tiny black box known as a Roku, we can stream Netflix (and other free and paid entertainment options) directly to our Idiot Box for the low-low price of $7.99/month. No TV Guide Channel. No 24-hour news networks. And best of all, NO COMMERCIALS!
With a cornucopia of options to "Watch Instantly," and so many of our friends going cable-free, I need a platform from which to share my good and bad streams. British Sketch Comedies? Check. Obscure Documentaries? Check. Forgotten 80s Sitcoms? Check. The requisite New Releases? Check. If I'm watching it, you're reading about it on Telechubby, new and improved after its tummy-tuck. Less fat, more definition!
My enthusiasm for pop culture crack had started to wane in the months prior. First I grew tired of my so-called "favorite" TV show, Fringe. I couldn't make it through an entire episode without dozing off or getting up to wash the dishes-- a very bad sign. Then I spaced part 2 of the Real Housewives of Beverly Hills Reunion Special. Where was my head?! No longer concerned about Lisa, Adrian, and Kyle apparently. Soon even House Hunters International seemed cumbersome and predictable.
At the same time, our cable bill was skyrocketing out of control, especially considering our meager income(s).
Most significantly, every commercial was a ball of tin foil scraping against the enamel of my molars.
This confluence of circumstances led to what once would have been unthinkable for a pair of TV junkies: we gave Comcast the heave-ho. And since our television is a relic from the analog days, we don't get network stations. No ABC, CBS or PBS. No signal. Not even snow.
Since then, I've lost all interest in celebrities (except for you, Viggo.) I no longer browse (let alone buy!) tabloid magazines because I don't know who those spindly orange people inside are. With no TV schedule to hold me prisoner, I've found time to read books.
But do not despair, fair reader! This is not a blog about books.
We are now reborn as TV Streamers. Thanks to a tiny black box known as a Roku, we can stream Netflix (and other free and paid entertainment options) directly to our Idiot Box for the low-low price of $7.99/month. No TV Guide Channel. No 24-hour news networks. And best of all, NO COMMERCIALS!
With a cornucopia of options to "Watch Instantly," and so many of our friends going cable-free, I need a platform from which to share my good and bad streams. British Sketch Comedies? Check. Obscure Documentaries? Check. Forgotten 80s Sitcoms? Check. The requisite New Releases? Check. If I'm watching it, you're reading about it on Telechubby, new and improved after its tummy-tuck. Less fat, more definition!
No comments:
Post a Comment