This film opened my eyes.
As the title suggests, the age-old practice of childbirth is undergoing a radical perversion in this country. In the New York metro area, where this was filmed, Cesarean births now account for more than a third of all hospital births. Why is this? Based on what I've seen here, I've concluded it's because The Man will not be satisfied until he has total control over women and their bodies. He's losing the anti-abortion war, but unfortunately, he's winning the baby birthing war.
The Man, in cahoots with The Media, has convinced women that childbirth is a painful, messy, dangerous, excruciating process. This is so we will fear it, and submit to our doctor's whims (such as, induced labor or - if that doesn't make something happen by doc's dinner time - a c-section.) Don't get me wrong - I'm sure giving birth hurts. I mean, I've never done it, but it looks pretty uncomfortable. But is pain really its defining feature? I challenge you to watch the footage of home births featured in this documentary (all of which are presided over by a midwife) (and show the women moving around, squatting, etc. - not strapped to a bed like they're undergoing surgery) and not draw a different conclusion. Namely, that childbirth -- providing it's free of complications -- should be empowering, euphoric, and a vital bonding experience between mother and baby.
This should be required viewing for anyone with plans to procreate.

I need to see this... Childbirth makes me squeamish as well, but isn't being cut open and having the baby surgically pulled out of your abdomen somehow... worse?
ReplyDelete